Friday, May 11, 2012

I have been running off schedule all week on this blog


     I have been running off schedule all week on this blog. Because of that I have decided to only do this once a week, for now. I just have very little time to write. I do want to continue to do this blog because it is a motivator for me to continue on with the things that I really like to do. Please stick with me and I hope that I can provide useful ideas that can be used by those of you reading this. Once again thank you for taking the time to read this blog.

Exercise and Martial Arts


     My New Workout Log is listed to the right of this posting. That contains a history of my workouts that I have been doing. As you can see I have transformed my workouts from the very simple to slightly more complex. I am currently doing my upper body and lower body on a alternating day rotation. I also limit myself to 5 sets of each different weight exercise. This helps control how long I need for a quality workout. I am getting up at 4 A.M. and leaving for the exercise room at the hospital where I am employed. I arrive there right at about 4:30 A.M. From there I continue to do a 1 hour workout. At this time I am cramped for time but do complete this entire routine with in that hour. Soon I feel that my work schedule is going to slightly change which then would allow me to have a hour and a half to do a workout and maybe even add a little more to each day.
     Lastly, I do allow for one day sometimes two for resting. At this time I find that weekends work well for resting. Weekends around here seem hard for me to be motivated to exercise so I choose to rest on those days. I hope soon that I can find it within me to exercise on the weekends.

Cooking and Healthy Eating


     I have been experimenting with some different combinations of food. I got some of my ideas from reading various sources and have come up with a  couple great concoctions of my own. The first one involves my yogurt that I eat many days for breakfast. It is yogurt, oatmeal, chia, and fresh fruit. This is how I prepare it. I make it a container that is large enough to hold it all.

      2 - 6 oz. yogurts (flavored works well)
      1/2 cup  uncooked oatmeal
      1/2 cup  chia seeds (pre-soaked)
      complimentary fresh fruit of your choice.

This makes a great fast and easy breakfast that fills me up and is very healthy.

     The other thing I like to do is make a nut mix. This I eat shortly after I workout due to its high protein content. So far what I do is a 3 nut mix, but I hope to expand this soon to possible incorporate other nuts. I will work on those combination later so that it fits my taste well. My protein snack is as follows,

      1/4 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts
      1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (I like the lightly salted kind)
      1 o.z of shelled peanuts

The quantities listed about are representative to 1 serving of each nut. I put these all in a 1 pint canning jar with a plastic lid on it then rotate the jar on its side to mix the nuts together. Makes a great snack.


Gardening


     My garden is coming along great. I have started to pick some of my spinach and kale already. I am having some problems with animals eating my cauliflower and broccoli. I will somehow find a way to end this trend too. The only other problem is keeping the creeping charlie out of my garden. It seems to be invading with great force this year. For now I will keep picking it continuously. 
     I am also going to get my tomatoes and pepper plants in soon. They are growing great on my porch but need to be relocated to bigger containers. I am sill debating putting them in the ground or pots. I like the idea of pots because they can be easily moved. I hope to boarder the edges of my yard with tomato and pepper plants. If I can get these successfully in pots then that frees up valuable garden space for other vegetables that I would like to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment